If you know anything about fashion, or maybe if you just happen to be a connoisseur of humorous quotations, you’ve probably run across Karl Lagerfeld’s name more than once. And you’ve probably asked yourself, “who is this man? where does he come from, and why does he matter?” Well, let me tell you…he matters. In my humble opinion, it would not be an overestimation to deem Karl Lagerfeld (aka K to the L, the Lag, BMOC) “the single most important man of our generation”. So, it is with great pride that I announce to you, the world, my obsession with Karl Lagerfeld: a man whose talent, wisdom and overall greatness know no bounds.
A brief bio, photos and key quotations after the jump.
Who is KL?:
Largely due to a recent Jezebel article, I have become obsessed with the Lag. Although i like clothes, my love of fashion is restricted due to my relative poverty. As a result, my wardrobe is comprised largely of the following: 1/3: Bloomingdale’s, 1/3 Banana Republic, 1/3 Forever 21. Sad, but true. Still, I can admire fashion from afar and know enough that Karl Lagerfeld is a legend in the world of high-fashion (as Ty Ty would say). So, we get it: KL is a fashion legend. What else is he? A man of infinite wisdom…a man who does whatever the fuck he wants whenever he wants. A man who hates being touched, despises children, pities fat people and thinks the 90’s were boring. A man…who has a MOTHERFUCKING diet coke butler!
Wikipedia gives a decent condensed version of why he matters: “Karl Lagerfeld (born Karl Otto Lagerfeldt on September 10, 1933) is widely recognized as one of the most influential fashion designers of the late 20th century. He has collaborated with a variety of different fashion labels, most notably Chanel but also Chloé and Fendi. Furthermore, he owns several labels, which he launched in the early 1980s, in various industries including perfume and clothing.”
Little Known facts about KL:
- “Lagerfeld is also famous for a dramatic transformation of his body, when he lost 42 kg (roughly 92.6 pounds) in 13 months. ‘I suddenly wanted to dress differently, to wear clothes designed by Hedi Slimane,” he said. “But these fashions, modeled by very, very slim boys—and not men my age—required me to lose at least 40 kg. It took me exactly thirteen months.’ The diet was created specially for Lagerfeld by Dr. Jean-Claude Houdret, which led to a book called The Karl Lagerfeld Diet.“
- Lagerfeld converted his 60,000 CD collection onto his arsenal of Ipods. As of December 2004, he owned roughly 70 iPods, scattered around the globe in his various residences.
- Karl Lagerfeld is “Asexual”.
What are his most significant quotations?:
- “If you attach no importance to weight problems, if not being able to wear new, trendy small-sized clothes does not cause you any regret, this book is not for you,” – foreword of his 2002 book, “The Karl Lagerfeld Diet”
- “That’s the last thing I want. I hate all children. For other people, it’s fine, but not for me. I was born not to be a family person”
- “I live in certain isolation. I never take appointments in the morning. I leave my house only after lunch. I don’t want to have a social life. I’ve had enough of that in my life. It’s demode. It’s another era. Perhaps people are still excited by that era, but not me. It’s uninteresting today. It says nothing. It’s boring, pretentious and vulgar.”
- “Even for charity, people get paid. I try to avoid charity. It doesn’t happen for me. I’m rich enough not to have to do that. Thank God I don’t have to do that. I do a lot of unnecessary things for free, but I’m very much against that. Money itself isn’t interesting, the use of it is.”
- “Also I cannot go on airlines because people stare at me, you have to be touched by people. I hate that…I hate bespoke because I hate to be touched by strangers. It bores me to death.”
- “I’m a computer by myself. I have a memory also for unnecessary things. Telephone numbers are a problem, but historical details are not.”